Kinect Proof of Concept, Masina Hospital
Masina Hospital is a 270 bed facility, run on a not for profit basis. It is located in South Mumbai providing clinical services with covering all areas of General Medicine.
It is located at Sant Savata Mali Marg, Byculla East, Mazgaon, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400027, India.
The pilot was been established to field test Kinect Human and Kinect. Now, two modules of the Kinect blockchain enabled health management solution.
Kinect Human is a cloud based medical record system that incorporates local medical practices and provides a simple to learn method of capturing patient consultations, history, symptoms tests, diagnosis, medicines and outcomes. It has a single view of the patient, based on a unique patient identifier, that allows both pharmacy and laboratory to access and update relevant parts of the patient record.
Kinect Now is a behaviour change module that automatically monitors and rewards doctor and patient behaviour, when a doctor achieves predefined goals( for example completing a certain number of TB tests) , they are rewarded with Kinect tokens. Whea patient with TB fulfils their prescription and completes a course of medication they are rewarded.
- To demonstrate the system can be implemented successfully in a previously paper based environment.
- Test the effectiveness of Kinect Now to monitor and reward patients and doctors based on goals that are achieved.
- Demonstrate the ability of Kinect Human to collect accurate patient data using a cloud-based system
- Define areas for improvement
Masina hospital and participating patients will have overall ownership of the data gathered.
Kinect Corporation will have rights to access and use the deidentified data for a period of 2 years for the purpose of promotion and ongoing quality control.
Feedback obtained from doctors during the pilot, was very positive.
The software has been described as intuitive and the workflow mimics local treatment practices. The use of drop-down boxes and radio buttons minimised the need for typing copious notes, reducing the burden on doctors and allowing them more time with the patient.
The doctors also recognised that the software was easily customisable and able to reflect local medical diagnosis and treatment practises.
Doctor Solanki ( Respiratory Physician Masina hospital)
” The system is very easy to learn and use. It should significantly improve the management of patients suffering from Tuberculosis”
Dr Jokhi ( Medical Director Masina Hospital)
“Masina Hospital in a not for profit organisation that provides much needed medical services in Mumbai .We were very happy to work with Kinect on this important pilot. The Kinect solution has the potential to make a real difference in improving health outcomes ”
To date more than 30 patient records have been captured and de identified data extracted for review.
While the study was not powered to detect variations in treatment patterns or outcomes, several interesting observations were made about the potential value of such data:
- Individual doctors appeared to make different treatment decisions for patients with similar history. This could suggest there is a deviation from standard treatment practices. The Kinect system can be programme to define recommended treatment options based on patient history to ensure treatment follows local protocols.
- Some patients did not represent for follow up treatment consults. This could be a flag for poor compliance and can potential lead to the development of antimicrobial resistance. Kinect has the potential to flag patients who do not represent for subsequent appointments and can follow up via text.
- There was strong interest in the potential financial value of tokens as a reward for patients and doctors demonstrating desired behaviour.
Progress versus Pilot goals (goals 1-4)
- The Kinect system is suitable as a replacement for a paper based medical record system , and can operate effectively using the mobile network.
- The pilot showed that patients are able to effectively use the OTP ( one time password ) to enrol in the system and receive a token wallet.
- Kinect human was successful in providing an easy to learn tool for Doctors to capture complete sets of patient data.
- Possible Improvements:
- Patient consent (to participate and share the identified data) could be built into the registration phase eliminating the need for separate paperwork.
- Follow up reminders and incentives for participating doctors will encourage uptake and utilisation
- Any future evaluation studies should find test sites that have high volumes of relevant patient types.
Copyright © 2019 KinectHub